Body part idioms
From Korean Wiki Project
Revision as of 03:27, 13 February 2010 by Jay shin
Idioms related to body parts
간 is the liver.
- 간이 콩알만 해 지다. (be scared stiff, be terrified/I cringed and got sick to my stomach./I was walking alone last night and the cat came out of nowhere, I got the fright of my life!)
- 간이 배 밖에 나왔다.
꼬리 means tail.
- 쥐꼬리 - is a rat's tail and used for things that are really small, usually used in conjunction with the grammar 만 한.
- 쥐꼬리만 한 월급 - a really small salary, getting paid peanuts.
- 쥐꼬리만 한 돈 - a really small amount of money, chicken feed.
입 means mouth and sometimes lips.
- 입이 가볍다 - not good at keeping secrets, can't keep their mouth shut. literally means your lips are light.
- 입이 무겁다 - good at keeping secrets, holding your tongue. Literally means your lips are heavy.
- 입이 열 개라도 할 말이없다 - No words can justify my actions. Literally means even if I have ten mouths, I would have nothing to say.
눈 means eye(s).
- 눈이 높다 - to have high standards, be picky
- 눈에 쌍심지를 켜다
머리 is your head.
- 머리가 나쁘다 - to be stupid
- 속이 탄다 -
쓸개 means gallbladder.
- 간에 붙었다가 쓸개에 붙었다가 한다.
코 means nose.
혀 means tongue.
- 혀가 꼬이다 - (meaning? 1. when you drink too much and you slur your words. 2. ). Literally means one's tongue is tangled.