From Korean Wiki Project
Revision as of 15:11, 19 January 2010 by DigitalSoju
Verb + (으)ㄹ 게요 : This pattern is used for the future tense. Even by native Korean speakers, the 게요 is often mispelled as 께요. This pattern has several restrictions, see the notes below.
- This pattern is restricted to first person usage.
- To make this the low form(반말) simply drop the 요 ending.
- This pattern can only be used as a statement and cannot be used as a question.
- This pattern must be used in a way to where the other person you are speaking to is somewhat related to the situation you are describing with the verb. See below:
- This pattern should be used when the action relates to the listener(s) directly or if it's for the listener(s)' sake.
- Due to consonant assimilation rules, the ㄱ in 게 gets pronounced as '께.' See page ' ㄹ grammar + ㄱ, ㄷ, ㅂ, ㅅ, ㅈ' for an explanation on the rule.
|Rule 1:||Verb + ㄹ 게요||If there is no 받침 or if the adj/verb stem ends with a ㄹ 받침|| 가다 → 갈 게요|
오다 → 올 게요
전화하다 → 전화할 게요
팔다 → 팔 게요
|Rule 2:||Verb + 을 게요||If there is a 받침 at the end of the adj/verb stem|| 먹다 → 먹을 게요|
받다 → 받을 게요
|나중에 전화 할게.||I'll call you later.||Low form (반말)|
|내 친구 소개시켜 줄게요.||I'll introduce my friend to you.||Informal polite|
|맥주 마시러 갈래? 내가 살게.||Do you wanna go grab a beer? It's on me.||Low form (반말)|
|가방 들어 줄게요.||Let me give you a hand with your luggage.||Informal polite|
|기다릴게.||I'm waiting for you.||Low form (반말)|
|확인해 볼게요.||Let me check.||Informal polite|
|미안해. 다시는 안 늦을게.||Sorry, I'll never be late again||Low form (반말)|
|다시는 안 그럴게요.||I'll never do that again.||Informal polite|
|내가 먼저 씻을게.||I'll take a shower before you.||Low form (반말)|
|죄송합니다만, 길 좀 물어볼게요.||Excuse me but can I ask you for directions?||Informal polite|
- Sometimes when speaking or text messaging, people say "하께" instead of "할께".