|Help · Cheat Sheet · Community portal|
This section is for people who are learning the Korean alphabet for the first time. Click on a button below to get started
Introduction and background
information on Hangeul
- Link to each character page which will be described thoroughly.
- Consonant assimilation rules
Need help distinguishing between some sounds? Here are some more examples (or take the quiz below)
- ㄱ ㄲ ㅋ additional practice
- ㅂ ㅃ ㅍ additional practice
- ㄷ ㄸ ㅌ additional practice
- ㅈ ㅉ ㅊ additional practice
- ㅅ ㅆ additional practice
- Quiz for Hangeul sections 1-3: Hangeul quiz 1
What's the point in learning Hangeul when I can just use Romanization?
Simple answer: Romanization is not accurate for Hangeul. Not only is the Romanization system for Korean not very accurate in the first place, but Korean has unique sounds that do not correspond to sounds in English. In order to read Korean and pronounce Korean words accurately, you must first learn to read the Korean script itself. Would it make sense to learn English using the Korean script? Of course not, so in the same sense, English cannot represent Korean sounds accurately.