From Korean Wiki Project
Revision as of 03:53, 6 November 2010 by Fes016
Adjective/Verb + 겠다: This grammar pattern has several usages:
- In first-person statements, the ending -겠- expresses intention or will. In this meaning, it is mostly used with formal grammar patterns such as A/V + (스)ㅂ니다 and not used commonly in informal speech. This pattern is also stronger than the future tense A/V + (으)ㄹ 거예요, which is a simpler future tense, and expresses less intention than than -겠다.
- -겠다 can also convey supposition, a guess, a thought or observation. It can sometimes be translated as 'I think', 'I bet', 'I guess', 'It/this looks ~', 'It must be ~'. This pattern can not be used to express the thoughts or supposition (etc) of a second or third person and must express the thought of the person saying or writing it.
- When combined with A/V + (으)면 and follow by 좋겠다, it can be used to express a wish or desire, see A/V + (으)면 좋겠다
- When combined with the honorific marker 시 and the verb 주다, it is a polite way to request or ask for something or some action to be done. See V + 아/어 주시겠다 or N + 주시겠다.
- -겠다 can also be added to 알다 (to know) and 모르다 (to not know) to raise the politeness. 알겠어요/모르겠어요 are generally more polite than 알았어요/몰라요.
- For the past tense version of 겠다 (supposition meaning), see A/V + 았/었 + 겠다
|Rule 1:||Adjective/Verb + 겠다||If there is no 받침 or if the adj/verb stem ends with a ㄹ 받침||가다 → 가겠다|
|Rule 2:||Adjective/Verb + 겠다||If there is a 받침 at the end of the adj/verb stem||좋다 → 좋겠다|
|그만 먹겠어요.||I'll stop eating.||informal form|
|다시는 전 남자친구를 만나지 않겠어.||I don't intend to meet my ex-boyfriend again.||low form|
|나는 지금 자러 가겠어.||I'm going to go sleep now.||low form|
|내일은 꼭 그 일을 끝내겠어요.||Tomorrow I'll definitely finish the job.||polite informal form|
|무슨 일이 있으면 핸드폰으로 연락하겠습니다.||If something comes up I'll contact you on your cellphone.||formal form|
|그 사람이 올 때까지 기다리겠어요.||I'll wait for him until he comes.||polite informal form|
|내일은 비가 오겠어.||I bet it's going to rain tomorrow.||low form|
|나도 그 문제를 풀겠어.||I bet I can solve the problem too.||low form|
|어린 아이도 그런 일은 할 수 있겠어요.||I bet even a child could do that.||polite informal form|
|지은이는 지금쯤 미국에 도착했겠어요.||I bet JiEun has arrived in America.||polite informal form|
|(Looking at her friend's dinner plate) 맛있겠다!||Looks delicious!||low form|